The Kashia Band of Pomo Indians were the first inhabitants of the coastal Sonoma County area around Fort Ross. The Kashia lived in lands that extended from the Gualala River in the North to Duncan’s Point south of the Russian River. From the West, Kashia territory extended from the pacific coast over coastal mountain ranges down the Warm Springs Creek to the confluence of Dry Creek, thirty miles inland. An estimated 1,500 people inhabited this area pre-contact, and migrated seasonally throughout this territory to take full advantage of the resources for their subsistence. By 1870, only 3 villages remained and by 1914, the United States Federal Government began the process of taking land into Trust, establishing the Stewarts Point Rancheria.
The Kashia Band of Pomo Indians has approximately 860 members, with the majority of Tribal members residing in Sonoma, Mendocino, Lake and Napa Counties which is the service area for the Kashia Band of Pomo Indians of Stewarts point Rancheria. The Kashia Band of Pomo Indians has a Tribal Government Office located in Santa Rosa, California.